ASME is the key Music Education Professional Association in Australia and currently is the only music association represented on the Australian Alliance of Associations of Education (AAAE).
- represents member national professional teacher associations, so that the voice of the teachers and educators they represent are heard by the appropriate statutory authorities and governments for the improvement of quality Australian educational policy and practice. There are currently 24 member associations with AAAE.
- has the mission to explore possible consultative and collaborative structures beyond the current ‘adhoc’ status of relationships between teacher associations and education entities
- considers that strategic and formalised partnerships between teacher associations and education entities are a compelling value-add proposition for governments to continue to improve the quality of student learning and teaching excellence in Australia.
ASME is also a member of the National Advocates for Arts Education (NAAE) which is a network of peak national professional arts and arts education associations representing arts educators across Australia.
Other members of NAAE are:
- Art Education Australia (AEA)
- Australian Dance Council (AUSDANCE)
- Drama Australia
- National Association for the Visual Arts
- Australian Teachers of Media
ASME also looks to work with other key music organisations to provide unified advocacy for Music Education for all students in all schools, at all levels.
These associations and groups include: